Cupola Smelt Mill Chimney background
The cupola smelt mill chimney on Grassington moor is the only complete structure in the old lead mine left standing. Built in 1792 the chimney was connected to the smelt mill by a 500 metre long tunnel and stands 18 metres tall.
The monks of Fountains Abbey started lead mining on Grassington Moor over 500 years ago. More recently in the 18th Century the Duke of Devonshire took on a more active role. As a result the mine workings grew substantially. However by the late 19th century production had all but ceased and the mine was closed.