Force Crag Mine under Force Crag background
Force Crag Mine is located under Force Crag at the head of the Coledale Beck valley, hence its name.
The mine was in use from 1839 right up until 1990 when a roof collapse forced its closure. When in operation a variety of minerals were produced by the mine including lead, zinc and barytes.
Force Crag Mine is now owned by the National Trust who operate tours of the processing mill, the buildings of which can be seen in the photo.